Sunday, August 9, 2009

Two Late Lunches


Old Place
Yesterday, I had a very late lunch (late enough to be an early dinner, actually) at Baba Yega, which is not in the West End but is close by. This restaurant has been serving its patrons since 1975. It's almost like being in someone's house, with the compartmentalized setup and cosy atmosphere. Our waiter yesterday was one of the best I've ever met, although I don't know if that's the usual standard of service at Baba Yega as I have eaten there only once before, several years ago. My fiancé and I shared an appetizer plate with delicious melted brie, salty feta, fresh fruit, walnuts and bread, and I had a well-made cappuccino. My mother and sister each had the rare tuna steak with dill rice and vegetables. My dad had the rainbow trout (farm-raised). Everyone enjoyed their meals. Baba Yega also has a patio and a garden seating area, although we sat inside. The restaurant is tucked away in the Montrose area in a cute tree-filled street.

Here is the cappuccino I had at Baba Yega:


New Place
Today my fiancĂ© and I had a late lunch (around 2:30 p.m.) at Ruggles Green (also not in the West End but close enough to be convenient), the latest in the Ruggles series of restaurants. It's an order-at-the-counter place with wine and beer, lots of organic options, and somewhat crowded seating. He ordered the buffalo burger, which tasted good but came with a notably tiny piece of lettuce and one minuscule slice of tomato. My veggie panini was very tasty although the grilled sourdough bread was just crispy enough to scrape the top of my mouth. The sweet-potato fries that accompanied both our meals were good but no better than any other sweet-potato fries I've had elsewhere. I liked the African iced tea, but he didn't — if you enjoy the earthy taste of rooibos (red bush) hot tea, then you'll like the African iced tea. He also wasn't crazy about the pomegranate melon iced tea, and neither was I. But, I ordered a to-go cappuccino as we left, and I was happy with it — I like my cappuccinos strong and unsweetened.

Here's the outside of Ruggles Green:

No comments:

Post a Comment